Keeping your software up-to-date can help ensure your Garmin device is operating at its best.
You can download and install software updates with your phone using Garmin Connect or via computer using Garmin Express. If you don't want to connect to a Garmin account, you can also use the Garmin Software Updater Tool.
🤔 Not sure if your software is up to date? Learn how to check your software version and any updates.
Garmin Connect App (Recommended)
The Garmin Connect app will download software updates automatically while your device is connected to your phone. Generally, any released updates will take up to a week to download before automatically or prompting to install on your device.
Garmin Express allows you to check for and download software updates automatically each time you connect your device to the computer.
Once an update has been downloaded, you will receive a prompt to install the update.
Garmin Software Updater Tool
This is a helpful tool if you're looking to update your Garmin devices to the latest firmware without having to connect to a Garmin Account: Updater Tool
The page is in German but easy to navigate.
Install Software Updater Tool:Available for Windows and iOS
- Download file
- Unzip file on your computer
- Run SoftwareUpdaterSetup.exe (Win) / SoftwareUpdateTool.dmg (iOS).
Update Garmin Device Software:
- Connect the device(s) to the computer via a cable
- Start Software Updater Tool
- Perform update (all available updates are displayed)
- Update installation on the device takes place after disconnecting from the computer (depending on the product, this may have to be initiated on the device)
For more on software updates, visit Garmin Support.
⚠️ Having trouble with your Garmin device?
Some recommend reading:
- Garmin Troubleshooting
- Reboot Garmin Device
- Using Garmin FAQs
- Reset Garmin Device Settings and Delete Data
- Unpair/Remove Your Garmin Device